When starting off the design process for my final design, I had a lot of variations running through my head as to how I could portray my message through graphics, so I started sketching out thumbnails and I used this to help me come to my final design.
I started in Adobe Illustrator and used a circle which I shaped as I felt was necessary with a black outline as shown below. I used the ellipse tool to create the shape and moved the edges using the pen tool to make it an obscure circle shape and increased the line thickness to 4pt to give it some depth.
I then needed to make the circle look like the earth and of course the best way to do this would be to draw countries and the sea. So I used an image from google in order to give me an understanding of what it would look like and used the pen tool to outline the countries and sea. I used the image to trace over at some times but also as a guide of what countries look like, adding my own twist to it in places.
In after I had outlined the world I then filled in the world with colours separating the land and the sea otherwise it looked slightly confusing, just lots of black lines floating about randomly. From here I then made a large dark blue rectangle to fit the canvas and then made a clipping mask over the earth, this then cut the earth off at the bottom making it fit into canvas. I made sure that the rectangle bled over the page by 5mm as this was a requirement in the brief.
This then gave the effect off that the image is in space as you can see part of the earth and the surrounding galaxies. However the galaxies, stars and other aspects will need to be added in to complete the design. Next, I made the sign which was coming out of the earth displaying two directions, which were named ‘Religion’ and ‘Science’, this shows that there are two pathways in life, and you must choose which to take, you can’t be stuck between the two.
I made sure that it was central framed, made a long rectangle into the centre and then two rectangles off the side of it in white. I had to play around with the pen tool for the white signs to give the ‘pointing’ effect as they were originally rectangular, but this wasn’t a large issue. Straight away this had a strong message behind it and the visual communication was clear in my opinion and also from peers. I then had to add in the stars and other things to do with space into the design, so I went on to add in the sun (with a twist) and the ISS (International Space Station).
The reason I made the sun with a “twist” is because the sun is circular I tried to think of as many different symbols to do with religion and the first thing that came to my head was the yin and yang. Therefore I had the sun as the main focus however there is a faded yin and yang symbol inside of it if you look closely, the reason for this was to include religious aspects and scientific aspects within the design to make it as neutral as possible. Both the sun and the ISS were just made up of shapes and one main effect which I used known as an “glowing edges”. The reason I used this effect was because it brought the illustrations out, gave them a pop which I thought was necessary as their is a strong meaning behind both of them. This effect is found under ‘Stylize’ in the ‘Effects’ tab.
I then went on to add in the stars which was fairly straight forward as thankfully there is a ‘star tool’ and so I made multiple different stars with this tool, all different sizes adding to the depth effect and made them all the same colour as the sun with the ‘Glowing Edges’ effect. I thought the stars completed the ‘space’ effect that I was going for, along with the sun, ISS and the earth.
After I had designed the main portfolio piece, I then went on to do the editorial part of the brief which was much more straight forward. I marked out a grey box with a white background which bled off the page 5mm. There is an extra black box around the page and that is the edge of the canvas, therefore illustrating that I have used a bleed. This black line will not be printed in the final product.
I then put in the title, sub-heading and my name as I was the author of the article. I chose the font ‘Helvetica Neue Thin’ and the reason for this is because I felt as though the article needed to be neutral with a professional font. Needed to be clear cut and easy to read without any bias, therefore this fit perfectly.
I then wrote my article after doing plenty of research and used 2 columns, the reason for 2 columns was because I felt 3 was too squished together and it read much better in 2 columns, particularly because I reduced the space by using a rectangular box. But the rectangular box is used frequently throughout new scientist and nautilus magazines so I thought it would be ideal to follow conventions.
I used a drop cap of 3 lines which I thinks gives it that little extra and the letter ‘R’ really catches the readers eye. Below is the final spread in png form.